Though influencer marketing has a lot of benefits, there are various challenges that are associated with it and some of them are listed below:
- Competition among companies: Depending on how competent the influencer is, he will be approached by different companies to help in creating awareness for their brand. There is no way you will be guaranteed that your brand will be given special consideration among the many companies that wants to be associated with him.
- Liability to the brand image: When you choose an influencer to market your brand, he is a representative of your brand. If he is engaged in any scandal in his personal life, it will be implicated on your brand. This may lead to the ending of the contract and looking for another influencer will be an additional expense that will eat up on the company’s capital.
- He is not well versed with your brand: An influencer does not have an in-depth knowledge of your brand since it is not a requirement before hiring them. As a result, he may market your brand just because of the gain that he will get from the marketing, while lacking any personal touch that consumers can connect with. To avoid this, you should ensure that you choose a marketer who likes your brand so that he will be able to give the marketing a personal touch.
- The target may not be achieved: Once you hire an influencer to do the marketing for your brand, he will do his job and leave it at that. He will not follow up to know if the objectives of the marketing campaign have been met or not.
- More difficult to track progress: when you allow an influencer to market your brand, you will not be in a position to control what happens in his social media account. This will make it difficult to know how the target audience has received the brand and how they reacted to it. Trying to get too concerned will make the endorsement of your brand seem artificial and may ruin the good that was being created by the influencer.
- The results may take longer to show: In influencer marketing, there are several steps that will need to be undertaken before the actual endorsement of the product. One has to conduct an in-depth research on the influencer you are targeting, build a relationship with them, and then the hiring. Even after giving him the job, there will still be a requirement of more time for the influencer to reach out to the target audience before any results can be achieved.
An influencer will enquire executive contact and most executives in a company will not have the time to make this connection. There is also another trend that has come up where influencers are adopting a professional tone which is not going down to well with the consumers. This is making the customers fail to believe what the influencers are saying because they know they are just out to make money thought their status. Any company that wishes to hire an influencer should be very cautious to avoid falling into the hands of influencers that will not have any positive impact on the brand.